Greetings to all GTS clients!
We would like to inform you the way how to apply for Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) available from April 6, 2020. Applicants will receive $2,000 per month for up to 4 months (16 weeks). However, you need to open CRA My account via online individually prior to the application.
- Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old
- Who have stopped working because of COVID-19 or are eligible for EI regular or sickness benefit.
- Who had income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the previous 12 months
(The income of minimum $5,000 may be form of any or combination of employment, self-employment, maternity benefit and parental benefits under EI program, similar benefits paid in Quebec under the Quebec Parental Insurance Plan)
- Who are or expect to be without employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial 4-week period.
Note 1) For your information, you can’t apply for CERB unless you have stopped working due to COVID-19
2. When to Apply the CERB
Please check below as the date of application differ by the month of your birth.
- January, February, March – Monday, April 06
- April, May, June – Tuesday, April 07
- July, August, September – Wednesday, April 08
- October, November, December – Thursday, April 09
Note 2) Everyone who didn’t apply on the dates listed above can apply on any day of Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
3. How to Apply
Over the Phone: 1-800-959-2019 (Toll-free) (Requires Postal Code and SIN for verification)
Note 3) Application is available at any time except 3 am to 6am via either online/phone.
4. Benefit Amount and Period of Support
- $2,000 per month
- Re-apply every 4 weeks (beginning March 15) up to a maximum of 16 weeks (4 months)
5. Additional Information
- Expect your payment within 3 biz-days after you apply if you are getting your payment by direct deposit to your bank account.
- Expect your payment within 10 biz-days after you apply if you are getting your payment by cheque. We recommend you to receive your payments by direct deposit considering the risks such as loss of mail.
Note 4) CERB is a taxable income, and you will need to report all CERB payments on the tax filing of 2020 in early next year.
Note 5) CERB application must be done online, individually. Due to the heavy workload, Global Tax Services does not apply your CERB on your behalf.